Trip Summary

Day 52: 2929 miles completed, 8 states, 7 flat tires, 4 flat mattresses, 40 new friends and Bruce #1, 8 rest days

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Wasted Day

My new GPS unit was delivered today. It was an older model Timex Cycle Trainer. Thought it would be a nice change to monitor my rides/runs and assess my fitness.  And I have not been a fan of the cycle computers that use a magnet attached to the spoke and base calculations on wheel circumference.  So, when my old computer's battery died a few years ago, I decided to ride without a bicycle computer.  My riding has been based on how I felt at the time, not chasing numbers or pushing myself.  This is perfect when not training seriously, just having fun.

Hopefully, I won't let fitness goals remove the fun and enjoyment.  However, the first day did not start out well.  I spent most of the day trying to figure out how to transfer routes to my GPS unit, which as it turns out is not possible.

Today, I was able to put it to good use: my first run since I broke my ankle this summer.  The unit provided an accurate measure of distance, speed, and heart rate (monitor included).  Since I will be off the bike for a couple more days, this will be invaluable for maintaining fitness.

Can get an effective workout in half the time.  Considering staying out of the saddle until March.

Run 1: without Monte

No comments:

Post a Comment