Trip Summary

Day 52: 2929 miles completed, 8 states, 7 flat tires, 4 flat mattresses, 40 new friends and Bruce #1, 8 rest days

Monday, February 16, 2015

Inspiration

This post was written by Lisa:  So, one of the Super Bowl commercials had a big effect on me, the "Like a Girl," campaign, which I believe was a Procter & Gamble production for the brand Always.  Having a lot of nieces, who now have a good number of daughters, and in particular being very close to our Goddaughters who are into sports, I want them all to feel empowered to respect their own abilities and never feel like "less than" anyone else, especially the males around them.  I thought the commercial was really powerful.

Then I set out to find something that I could personally relate to, so went searching for something with "Bike like a Girl" on it.  I ran across a website for RAAM (Race Across America) and, low and behold, in 2015 for the first time there will be an all-women team attempting RAAM called...Bike Like A Girl!  http://bikelikeagirl.org/ There was contact information, which turns out to be athletes on the team who are responding to you.  I wrote them a short email and said how I wished them well and how much of an inspiration they are to me, and I made a donation to help out the team.  I also shared with them that I would be embarking on my own bike ride across America in March, far from a race. I received a rapid fire e-mail from one of the team, Erin, who shared her appreciation and ended the e-mail with a line that made me tear up, "YOU inspire us!"

I think about those 3 words from a team of amazing women every time before I get on my bike.  I hope I can in some way inspire the young girls in my life...doing anything "like a girl," is pretty cool and something to be proud of!

No comments:

Post a Comment