Trip Summary

Day 52: 2929 miles completed, 8 states, 7 flat tires, 4 flat mattresses, 40 new friends and Bruce #1, 8 rest days

Monday, April 15, 2013

Day 39: Comfort Zone

As our time begins to draw to a close in about 2 weeks, I was thinking of individual comfort zones. It is really amazing how it changes. Before the trip, I wondered how I would sleep and shower with multiple people; now it is just another part of the day, though ear plugs are a must to sleep and an eye mask would not hurt. You can get used to taking cold showers, 5-minute showers and spending the whole day without any makeup and without brushing your hair–and everybody understands and could care less! 

Those are really minor things. I have also had time to contemplate what we have accomplished, or what I have accomplished. Jeff has always been an athlete his entire life and played rugby and ran marathons and done lots of biking and running. I think an athlete knows how to push through things that feel uncomfortable. Non-athletes, such as myself get used to avoiding discomfort; i.e, when you are tired out, you stop; when you are hungry, you eat; when the weight seems too heavy, you put it down.

However, I think I have learned that my comfort level can be pushed further than I ever thought it could and I can keep on going. I still am not used to people looking at me either with amazement or like I am crazy when they hear I am biking across the country; I think either reaction is meant to be a compliment to my ability or at least my attempt. I am amazed everyday that I finish another day! I can now say with confidence that I will finish this goal of biking coast to coast–and if I can do it anyone can, but I would definitely advise you go with Bubba. He told me from day 1,before I ever sent in my entry that he would take care of me and he has. His staff and crew make every day enjoyable!

Jeff told me on my last birthday that I was not over the hill yet, but we would get there together, and boy have we…hill after hill after hill and a couple of very low times thrown in along the way to test our (my) resolve! Nobody said it would be easy. It is nice to be able to accomplish this together, and I believe it has actually made us feel younger and stronger.

We are not done yet, but we will be soon, and like we have tried to do with every day that preceded this, we are trying to savor every new experience and sight so that we can relive it in our memory for many years to come.

Tomorrow, we cross another border into the state of Mississippi. Tonight we rest in Franklinton, LA.

No comments:

Post a Comment